NZNH Limited (“New Homes”) has created this privacy statement in order to demonstrate our firm’s commitment to privacy.
In this policy we explain how we handle information about you that we gather, store and use. For additional information about your relationship with New Homes, please review our Terms and Conditions.
1. Use of your information
- New Homes does not sell or rent your Personal Information to third parties. Personal Information is information about an identifiable individual, as defined by the Privacy Act 1993.
- New Homes collects information about you through your use of the Services and the Website, including your registration details and information relating to your use of the Website and the Services, such as the content you access (like listings you have viewed and the search queries you input).
- New Homes uses the information we collect to help us provide the Services to you, to verify your identity, to enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions, to protect the rights, property, or safety of New Homes, our users, or others, for internal research purposes, for promoting and marketing other New Homes’ products and Services to you, and for any other use that you authorise.
- We release Personal Information only when we believe release is appropriate for legal compliance and law enforcement (including to government agencies with statutory law enforcement responsibilities); to facilitate court proceedings; enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions; or protect the rights, property, or safety of New Homes, our users, or others. Government agencies with statutory roles enabling them to request data from us include but are not restricted to the Police, Inland Revenue and the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
- You can contact New Homes to ask whether your Personal Information has been provided to any third parties, or with any other privacy-related question. Just email us.
- Where New Homes uses third parties to undertake services, we may provide those third parties with some of your information if it is required to fulfil those services. For example, we use third parties to send you letters for address verification, to provide you with shipping services or to conduct research for us to ensure the Services we provide you are relevant and personalised to your interests. We also use third party software (such as customer relationship management, marketing automation and accounting software) that holds your information, sometimes overseas. We require any third party to undertake strict precautions to protect your information against unauthorised use or disclosure.
2. Listing Content
- When you create a listing, we make certain information publicly available (for example, the listing description, images, your user name and in certain cases your contact details). We refer to this broadly as Listing Content. Listing Content varies depending on the type of listing, and the category. This section of the policy explains what we and others do with Listing Content.
- Listing Content becomes public when you publish it using our Services. Once you publish it, Listing Content becomes available via the internet, including to users of our API. Listing content may appear in applications and on other websites.
- We may retain all Listing Content after listings have expired. Listing Content may also persist elsewhere when third parties access and cache listings while they are live. For example, Google do this when they index the web for searching and so old listings may survive in Google searches for a period of time.
- In certain cases we have commercial arrangements with third parties to display or use listing content. We also use some listing content to enrich our other Services.
- It is the policy of New Homes to send our members emails they elect to receive, in addition to customary business communications. In addition, New Homes will send newsletters and other communications to members. Newsletters will contain clear and obvious instructions as to how the member can remove himself or herself from that mailing list.
- We do use email as a means of receiving feedback from our members, and we encourage you to email us with your questions or comments.
5. Membership registration
- Our site's registration form requires you to provide us contact information and may also require demographic information. We may use your contact information from the registration form to send you information about our company and promotional material from some of our affiliated partners. Your contact information is also used to contact you when necessary.
6. Managing your Personal Information
- The Privacy Act gives you the right to access and correct your information. Contact Us if you wish to access or update your Personal Information, including changing your email address, password, phone number, etc. When you update your details New Homes will store your old details to ensure compliance with our Terms and Conditions.
- If you wish to close your account and delete any Personal Information you have submitted to us, please Contact Us to make that request. We consider each request for deletion on a case by case basis taking into account our legal obligations to retain certain information.
- New Homes provides an application programming interface (API) to enable software to interface with the Website. The API enables developers to build new applications for our members to use. We use it ourselves to power our mobile applications. As a result, information you publish on New Homes may be accessed through the API and may appear in other places such as applications or websites. We may charge third parties in various ways for access to our API.
- Some applications enable you to interact with New Homes through the API in a way that requires you to log in. To do this, most of these applications will direct you through a secure process called 'OAuth', where you are able to let the application connect to your account. A smaller set of applications will require you to enter your username and password directly into the application, and only applications specifically authorised by New Homes are capable of doing this. In no case will anyone be able to retrieve your password from the API.
- If you allow an application to connect to your New Homes account, that application will be able to access information that you can see when you are logged in to New Homes. This includes the information found within your New Homes account. You should only allow applications you trust to access your New Homes account.
- If someone is using an application to access New Homes and trades with you, that application may be able to access information that you provide to the other person during the trading process, such as your email and delivery address.
12. Cookies and local storage
- New Homes uses various technologies, including cookies and local storage, to collect and store information about you when you visit New Homes.
- New Homes uses "session" cookies to temporarily store information to help you use New Homes. This information is used to deliver the right content to you as you use New Homes and avoids unnecessarily asking you to log in. Session cookies expire immediately when you close your browser or are deleted after 30 minutes of no activity on New Homes.
- New Homes also uses "persistent" cookies and local storage to personalise the user experience, to help protect our members and to provide us with research information (such as how often members visit New Homes each month). Persistent cookies allow us to track users on New Homes and helps us identify users abusing the New Homes service. A persistent auto-login cookie is also stored when you select the "remember me" option when logging in. The auto-login cookie is removed if you log out.
- New Homes uses third parties to re-market relevant ads to you after you leave our website. When you navigate around our website, we either place a cookie or pixel on your browser or device, or we update the existing Google Analytics cookie. This enables us to re-market to you using a number of technology providers, and means that you may see ads from New Homes when you later visit other websites. You can also opt out of the Google DoubleClick cookie here.
- You can opt out of Google's, and our, use of these cookies by visiting Google's Ads Preferences Manager. View Google's advertising privacy policies.
- We also allow some of our advertising clients to place re-marketing cookies on your browser when you view their advertisements on New Homes. This allows them to continue to show you their advertisements when you visit other sites they advertise on, or to cap the frequency with which you see their advertisements.
13. Advertising and third party links
- Products and services advertised on New Homes are not endorsed by New Homes.
- Some New Homes advertisers may request information directly from you, or link to sites that do so. New Homes has no control over its advertisers' privacy policies, and you should review such policies prior to submitting any information to them.
- New Homes contains non-advertising links to a variety of third party sites to enhance the member experience. New Homes has no control of either the content or privacy policies of such sites, nor should such links be considered an endorsement of these sites except where otherwise noted.
- New Homes uses Google’s Customer Match product to better target our Adwords advertising, based on information we hold about you. This information is shared securely with Google, and no personal information is released at any time.
- New Homes also uses information we hold about you to deliver display advertisements intended to be relevant to your interests, based on the information you have provided to us through the use of any of our Services. This information is not personal information, and may be shared securely with third parties to deliver display advertisements to you.
- New Homes also makes advertising space available through the DoubleClick AdExchange to other advertisers. If those advertisers use re-marketing, you may see ads related to other websites you have previously visited.
14. EXIF data in photos
- Photos often contain EXIF data. EXIF data may include location information, such as when and where each photo was taken, and details of the device used to take it. If you upload photos that include EXIF data to New Homes, we will store this information and use it to better understand the use of photos on our site and to help us provide a safe marketplace. Your device may allow you to opt out of providing location information.
15. Other information we collect
- We use additional information to do internal research on our users' demographics, interests, and behaviour to better understand and serve you and our community. This information may include the URL that you just came from (whether this URL is on our site or not), which URL you next go to (whether this URL is on our site or not), what device, operating system and browser you are using, and your IP address. We may also use information from third parties, such as geo-demographic information.
- New Homes uses information we hold about you to provide you with a more personalised experience, such as suggesting things you might like, and suggesting search terms to you based on your recent searches.
- Users who log in have their IP addresses recorded. This information will only be provided to legal authorities in cases of suspected fraud or for law enforcement purposes. This information is stored securely and will not be provided to other members or non- authorised parties.
- If you send us personal correspondence, such as emails or letters, or if other users or third parties send us correspondence about your activities or postings on the Site, we may collect such information into a file specific to you.
- Customer service phone conversations may be recorded for internal training and quality assurance purposes. This helps us ensure the information we provide members is consistent and accurate. Phone records will be stored securely and will generally be retained for up to six months.
- When third parties supply us with information in line with their terms and conditions, we may use this information to serve you with more relevant advertising content. We may also collect publicly available information about you, such as for fraud prevention purposes.
17. Internet statistics and analytics
- New Homes uses Google Analytics to better understand the behaviour of visitors to our website, and to improve our website. For example, it helps us to identify how many users visit a particular page, and how many take a further step, such as bidding. We have opted out of Google Analytics' data sharing settings. For more information, view Google Analytics' information on safeguarding your data.
- New Homes uses Google Analytics Demographics and Interest reporting to give us insight into users’ behaviour, and to serve you with more relevant content. Information we collect through this reporting service is in aggregate form, and anonymous. You can opt out of Google Analytics Display Advertiser Features here.
18. Mobile applications
- If you are using one of our mobile applications, and you accept that New Homes can send you "Push Notifications", you agree to receive notifications from New Homes even if your New Homes mobile application is not running. "Push Notification" preferences can be configured in the application's settings.
19. Updates to our information practices
- From time to time, we make changes to our information practices or alter the functionality of our website. We will communicate all changes to you by listing these changes on our Site. Occasionally urgent changes will be required, but we will generally give you at least 2 weeks’ notice to review any changes.
- If you have any questions about our privacy policies or any other matter, please Contact Us.
20. Credit Card information
- We do not hold your credit card information. When you enter credit card information we pass this on to the provider that processes the payment request on your behalf and we do not retain a copy. Where you elect to make a further payment, using credit card information that has been previously entered, we only forward that request to the provider that processes that payment request on your behalf and we do not retain a copy.